Decorative Arts

Chandeliers, candelabras, Églomisé, Biedermeier glass goblets, inkstands, pistols, silver, candlesticks, porcelaine, arms, dagger, vases, mirror, mother of pearl etc.

Empire parasol, ViennaViennese parasol empireEmpire parasol vienna

EMPIRE PARASOL
Vienna circa 1805
Ebonised wood, ivory, gilt brass, leather, linen, length: 80 cm.

baroque hunting sword hunting sword with ivoryhunting sword

BAROQUE HUNTING SWORD
Austria, circa 1760
Length: 73 cm, width: 9,5 cm, depth: 3,5 cm
Ivory grip with a carved lion`s head with eyes in red grenades and solid silver guard, steel knife blued, etched and with gilt motifs.

flintlock pistols

PAIR OF POMP FLINTLOCK PISTOL’S
Bohemia, circa 1730
Length: each 46 cm, run length: each 29,3 cm, caliber 10,5 mm
Barrels with central broad rib with mahogany breeches and engraved tangs, locks are finely chased with heroic-style figures, trop. Of arms set amidst vine sprays and scrollwerk, gilt bronze mounts are carved with rocaille motifs, walnut stocks.

percussion pistols by Lebeda, Prague circa 1830percussion pistols by Lebeda, Prague circa 1830percussion pistols by Lebeda, Prague circa 1830

percussion pistols by Lebeda, Prague circa 1830percussion pistols by Lebeda, Prague circa 1830

PAIR OF PERCUSSIONS PISTOL'S IN ORIGINAL CASE
Signed "A.V. LEBEDA V. PRAZE."
Anton Vinzenz d.Ä. Lebeda (1797 – 1857)
Prague, circa 1830
Measure of the case: height: 6,5 cm, width: 44,7 cm, depth: 26,8 cm
9’’ octogonal barrels, burl walnut stocks fluted at the grips, engraved on locks, hammers, barrel tangs and left side plates, fluted wood at fore end, lock plate engraved “Lebeda in Prag”, gold inlays on barrels, locks and side plates. In fitted mahagony case along with nipple wrench, copper powder flask and funnel, percussion caps and wood container, bullet mold, cap dispenser/loader, wood hammer/ramrod, extraction tool, and ramrod tip. Case lined with green felting with gilt stamped label „A.V. Lebeda k.k. landesbefugter Gewehr Fabrikant in Prag“. Guns numbered 1 and 2 when displayed in case, as well as on top of barrels.

Anton Vinzenz Lebeda d.Ä. (1.5.1797 Černoschitz near Prague - 2.7.1857 Prague): privileged gunsmith, as journeymen he worked a time in Vienna with the Viennese master J. Contriner, 1820 back in Prague, 1822 master, masterpiece is in the National Museum of Prague  (Národni Muzeum, fowling piece), Prague trade exhibition 1829: silver medal, several privileges in 1818, 1830 and 1835, 1.10.1835 authorized manufacturer, 3.9.1841 nationwide factory authorization (for Bohemia).  

Austrian rapier

AUSTRIAN OFFICER RAPIER
Austrian, circa 1825
Fire gilt brass, mother of pearl, blade 78 cm long.

canon

MOTAR CANNON
South Germany, dated 1759, original gun-carriage, wood and iron.

Russian mocca service

SILVER MOCHA SERVICE

Russia, circa 1890.

paperweight Austrian

PAPER WEIGHT "DRAGOON HELMET"
Vienna, circa 1880
Height: 11,5 cm; width: 8,8 cm; depth: 13,8 cm
Marble, gilt brass, partly lacquered black.

BISCUIT-PORCELAIN BUST of Archduke Rudolph of Austria by Elias Hütter, Vienna 1820BISCUIT-PORCELAIN BUST of Archduke Rudolph of Austria by Elias Hütter, Vienna 1820BISCUIT-PORCELAIN BUST of Archduke Rudolph of Austria by Elias Hütter, Vienna 1820

BISCUIT-PORCELAIN BUST
of Archduke Rudolph Johann Joseph Rainer of Austria (1788 Florence – 1819 Baden/Vienna)

Elias Hütter (1774-1865), Imperial Porcelain Manufactory Vienna 1820/21, height: 51 cm
I mpressed beehive mark of the Imperial Porcelain Manufactory Vienna, “25” and “821”, marked and dated “Elias Hütter 1820”. Biscuit porcelain, base with gilt ribbon and gilt panel, inscribed: “Erzh. Rudolph”.
A rchduke Rudolf (1788 Florence - 1819 Baden/Vienna): youngest son of the grand duke of Tuscany and later Emperor Leopold II. , 1802-1809 owner of the Infantry Regiment no. 14, 1818 cardinal, 1819 archbishop of the archdiocese Olomouc, one of the major sponsors of Ludwig van Beethoven.
Elias Hütter: (Vienna 1774 - 1865): studied at the Vienna Academy, 1789 apprentice under Grassi, since 1807 master. Several busts of Hütter are located in the Austrian Museum of Applied Arts (MAK) in Vienna , in the Johanneum Graz or the Military Museum (HGM) in Vienna.
Literature: Wilhelm Mrazek und Waltraud Neuwirth: Wiener Porzellan 1719-1864 (exhibition catalogue no. 3, Österreichisches Museum für angewandte Kunst) Vienna n.D., p. 40. 

paper weight Austriasilve rpaper weight hound, Vienna circa 1900silver paperweight Viennese

PAPER WEIGHT "HOUND"
Wenzel Brezina (active 1897-1918), Vienna circa 1900
Silver, onyx-base, height: 7 cm, width: 13,5 cm, depth: 6,5 cm

mother of pearl candle holder>mother of pearl candle holder

MOTHER OF PEARL CANDLEHOLDER WITH SILVER MOUNTINGS
Prague 1818
Length: 19 cm (with handle), mother of pearl, silver

Mother of pearl candle holder Vienna circa 1820Mother of pearl candle holder Vienna circa 1820Mother of pearl candle holder Vienna circa 1820Mother of pearl candle holder Vienna circa 1820Mother of pearl candle holder Vienna circa 1820

MOTHER OF PEARL CANDLE HOLDER WITH LIGHT SCREEN
Vienna circa 1820, mother of pearl, fire gilt brass, 34 x 10,5 x 15 cm



silver centre piece by Jakob Krautauer, Vienna 1817
silver centre piece by Jakob Krautauer, Vienna 1817silver centre piece by Jakob Krautauer, Vienna 1817silver centre piece by Jakob Krautauer, Vienna 1817

ELABORATE CENTREPIECE
Jakob Krautauer (1772-1845), Vienna 1817
Vienna mark 1817, makers mark “Krautauer”, 13 lot silver, ca. 8.800 g, height: 50,5 cm, diameter (base): 34 cm
Three graces supporting a pierced basket, standing on a round three tiered base. The tiered base is decorated with leaves, heads of medusa, chimeras and crests in relief.

Jakob Krautauer (1772 - 1845): 1795 master, he appeared in guild lists 1801 – 1845, 1836 – 1844. Krautauer exhibited at the first (1835) and at the second trade exhibition in Vienna in 1839. In 1839 he received a medal.

Compare: basket with handle in the Museum of Applied Arts, Budapest (IM 52.983) by Krautauer, pictured in: Waltraud Neuwirth: Wiener Silber. Namens- und Firmenpunzen 1781-1866, Vienna 2002, p. 70-71.

CHAMPAGNE BUCKET FROM ARCHDUCAL PROPERTY Vienna circa 1890CHAMPAGNE BUCKET FROM ARCHDUCAL PROPERTY Vienna circa 1890CHAMPAGNE BUCKET FROM ARCHDUCAL PROPERTY Vienna circa 1890

CHAMPAGNE BUCKET FROM ARCHDUCAL PROPERTY Vienna circa 1890CHAMPAGNE BUCKET FROM ARCHDUCAL PROPERTY Vienna circa 1890CHAMPAGNE BUCKET FROM ARCHDUCAL PROPERTY Vienna circa 1890

CHAMPAGNE BUCKET FROM ARCHDUCAL PROPERTY
with original leather case
Gebrüder Frank, Vienna circa 1890
800 silver, ca. 1.570 g, height: 25 cm, diameter 19 cm, case: 27,5 x 26 x 22,5 cm
Marked: Diana head hallmark, "A": Vienna 1872-1922, masters mark of Gebrüder Frank (hammer with two wings), distributor’s mark of Rozet & Fischmeister, imperial and court supplier.

Gold-pressed monogram of an Archduke (crown and „E“) and gold-pressed distributor’s mark on the original case: Rozet & Fischmeister Wien, I. Kohlmarkt 11. 

Cylindrical bowl with beadwork decoration and applied historic-style plant frieze on round, striated base. Hoop-shape handles with twisting decorations on both sides. Silver plated alpaca bottle-holder below removable bracket.
Concerning the provenance there are two possibilities: Archduke Eugen of Austria (1863-1954, Teschen line) or Archduke Ernst Karl Felix Maria Rainer Gottfried Cyriak of Austria (1824-1899, Rainer line). Because Rozet & Fischmeister were purveyor to the court of Archduke Eugen the champagne bucket probably was made for him.
Gebrüder Frank: Viennese gold- and silverware manufacture, established in 1887.

Rozet & Fischmeister: founded in 1770 in Vienna by the Huguenot Nikolaus Rozet, 1836 purveyor to the court, 1872 acquisition of the company by Fischmeister, the made a part of the famous diamond stars of Empress Elisabeth. The shop is located until today at the Kohlmarkt within sight of the Hofburg.

pair of glass vases

PAIR OF GLASS GOBLETS WITH GOLD-PLATED MOUNTING AND "WEDGWOOD" MEDALLIONS 
France, End of 19th century
Height: 27 cm, width: 19 cm
Colourless glass, sides with diamond, facet and ridge cut décor, chiselled mounting with openwork edge, front and reverse featuring half-plastic depiction of an amourette on light blue ground, double handle with plastic laurel and acanthus leaves, stone plinth in front with medallions and decorative borders.

gingerbread boardsgingerbread boards in nut

THREE DIFFERENT GINGERBREAD BOARDS
Germany (?), 1st half of the 19th century and circa 1850
45,5 x 13,5 cm und 53 x 19,5 cm und 58,5 x 20 cm
On both sides carved solid nut wood.

Bohemian Biedermeier glassgoblet probably by Friedrich EgermannBohemian goblet

BOHEMIAN BIEDERMEIER GOBLET "Andenken von Wien"
probably by Friedrich Egermann (1777 Schluckenau -1864 Haida), North Bohemia circa 1840
Colourless glass, partial stained yellow, four cut glass medaillons, enamel painting in gold and black, four views of Vienna: "St. Stephan in Wien", "Der hohe Markt", "Karlskirche" and "Theseustempel".

Wigand necessaire, Vienna circa 1825mother of pearl necessaire with view of Vienna, circa 1825mother of pearl casket, Vienna circa 1825

mother of pearl necessaire, Vienna circa 1825

REPRESENTATIVE NECESSAIRE AND LETTER CASKET
Vienna circa 1825
Width: 21,6 cm, depth: 5,2 cm, height: 9 cm (gouache: 15,8 x 10 cm)
With mother of pearl veneered wooden case (interior with maple veneer), gouache – probably by Balthasar Wigand - in fire-gilt brass frame, with a view of Vienna "Wien von der Spinnerin am Kreuz", fire-gilt bronze fitting and hinges. In the cover leather wallet with mirror in fire-gilt brass frame, rich sewing kit (14 pieces) in mother of pearl, steel, fire-gilt brass and gold leaves. On a spool painted view of the "Galizynberg" (Gallitzinberg / Wilhelminenberg) on ​​one side and flowers on the other side.

Balthasar Wigand (Vienna 1770 - 1846 Felixdorf/Vienna) was a famous Viennese artist in the Biedermeier and studied from 1787 to 1793 at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts.

Compare cassette no. RCIN 3487 in The Royal Collection Trust (St. James's Palace, London) or: Bürgersinn und Aufbegehren. Biedermeier und Vormärz in Wien 1815-1848 (exhibition catalogue of the Wien Museum), Vienna 1987, p. 298, cat.no. 6/6/4 (Wien Museum, inv.no. 110430).

pair of shotguns by Anton Mulacz, Vienna Austriapair of shotguns by anton Mulacz, Vienna Austria

A FINE PAIR OF BREECH-LOADING SHOTGUNS
Anton Mulacz, purveyor to the Austrian Court
Vienna circa 1880
Signed: „ANT. MULACZ IN WIEN no. 32“, numbered „1“ Nr. 3060 and „2“ Nr. 3061, monogrammed „MS“ with count's coronet
Length: 118 cm, barrel length: 76 cm, caliber 12, cartridge chamber 65 mm
Smooth, round and  damascened barrels, tangs finely engraved and numbered  en suite, walnut stocks.

Anton Mulacz mentioned in Vienna from 1860 to 1893, worked together with Karl Pirko for the Court of Vienna.

Literature: Hans Schedelmann: Die großen Büchsenmacher, Würzburg 1972, p. 289.

silver tureen Vienna Austria

SILVER TUREEN
Vienna 1821
Masters mark "AF", weight: 3,9 kg, hight: 39 cm

glass goblet with horse

BIEDERMEIER GOBLET with horse
attributed to Karl Pfohl (1826–1894)
Harrach’sche Hütte Neuwelt, Steinschönau, North Bohemia circa 1840, height: 13,3 cm
Colourless glass with red overlay, the facing side with cut image of a horse, the reverse side with seven cut lenses with dedication: „FÜR EDJ Emlék“.

Biedermeier glass goblet Karl Pfohl

BIEDERMEIER GOBLET with horse
attributed to Karl Pfohl (1826–1894)
Harrach’sche Hütte Neuwelt, Steinschönau, North Bohemia circa 1840, height: 14 cm
Colourless glass with blue overlay, the facing side with cut image of a horse and on the sides of vine branches, the reverse side with seven cut lenses.

songbird automationGerman songbird automatonSongbird automaton

A SONGBIRD AUTOMATON with original case
Germany circa 1900
Measures: height: 4,5 cm, width: 10,2 cm, depth: 5,7 cm
Measures case: height: 5,5 cm, width: 19 cm, depth: 13 cm
marks: half-moon, crown, 800 silver, musical mechanism in working order

porcelain cup with flowers

PORCELAIN CUP WITH FLOWERS
Porcelain manufactory Fürstenberg, circa 1830
Height: 9 cm (without handle) 

silver candlesticks

PAIR OF CANDLEHOLDER
Budapest 1824
Height: 20,8 cm, silver
Makers mark "Prantner"                        

umbrella stand

UMBRELLA STAND
Vienna circa 1880
Cast iron, green patinated, 73 x 54 x 30 cm

Austrian wall applique

PAIR OF WALL APPLIQUES
Jos. Zahn & Co, Vienna circa 1850
Brass, glass, mirror, height: 58 cm

Reisekassette Barock baroque writing casket

FINE WRITING CASKET
Probably Augsburg, circa 1740
Nut wood and other native hardwoods and fruitwoods, 19.6 x 56 x 30 cm
Longitudinal rectangular box with hinged lid, on all sides geometric marquetry. Interior with numerous compartments, closed by folding lids, on the front two shallow drawers with hidden spring mechanism. Partly gilded and engraved brass fittings and locks, brass side handles, inside original gold embossed wallpaper from Augsburg.

silver pitcher

SILVER WINE JUG
Mark of Graz (Austria) 1814, master mark “HF”, height: 21 cm

Biedermeier glass goblet

VARIOUS BIEDERMEIER GLASS GOBLETS
Bohemia, circa 1830 to 1850

dagger

HUNTING SWORD
Austria(?), circa 1760, length: 58 cm
Gilt brass, canines of ruminants, knife with etched and gilt hunting scenes.

mother of pearl oil lamp

MOTHER OF PEARL OIL LAMP
Vienna, circa 1830
Height: 15,5 cm, diameter: 14,5 cm
Veneered with mother of pearl, fire gilt bronze.


SOLD:

mother of pearl light screen Vienna circa 1830mother of pearl light screen Vienna circa 1830mother of pearl light screen Vienna circa 1830mother of pearl light screen Vienna circa 1830mother of pearl Vienna

 
UNUSUAL MOTHER OF PEARL CANDELABRA WITH LIGHT SCREEN IN FORM OF A SAILING BOAT WITH VIEW OF “Spinnerin am Kreuz”
Painting attributed to Christoph Mahlknecht (1787-1851), Vienna, circa 1830
Mother of pearl, fire gilt brass mountings, two-armed candelabra, one of two mother of pearl sails hand painted and inscribed “Spinnerin am Kreuz” (a monument in Vienna).
Height: 56 cm
The painting is probably by Christoph Mahlknecht (Vienna 1787-1851), a mother of pearl candelabra also with the painting of the „Spinnerin am Kreuz“ signed by him is in the Wien Museum in Vienna.
Viennese decorative arts of the Biedermeier period are characterized by special quality, especially the very popular decorative mother of pearl works; they were sold internationally as so-called "Galanteriewaaren" (gallantry products). At the Leipzig trade fair in 1830 this Viennese works of art were highly praised and it is also mentioned a light screen of mother of pearl in the form of a ship, which might be the present piece (Allgemeine Zeitung, 19.7.1830, Munich, no. 200, p. 362).

SOLD:

silver globe cup by C.G. Hallbergsilver globe cup by C.G. Hallbergsilver globe cup by C.G. Hallbergsilver globe cup by C.G. Hallbergsilver globe cup by C.G. Hallberg

SILVER GLOBE CUP
Carl Gustav Hallberg after Christoph Jamnitzer
Stockholm 1908
Silver, partly gilt, height: 63 cm
Hercules carrying the globe on his shoulders, on the globe is the goddess of the rumor - Fama - with a trumpet.
Carl Gustav Hallberg: founded 1860 in Stockholm, 1889 jeweller of the Swedish Court.

The original is from Christoph Jamnitzer (Nürnberg, 1563-1618) and was provided in 1620 with a globe by Jeremias Ritter (Nürnberg, 1582-1646), Johann Hauer (Nürnberg, 1586-1660) made the engraving of the globe. The cup is located int the Royal Palace of Stockholm.

SOLD:

mother of pearl box by Wigand Viennamother of pearl boy with gouaches by Wigand

mother of pearl box with Wigand gouaches

MOTHER OF PEARL BOX WITH VIEWS OF VIENNA
Vienna, circa 1825
21,5 x 15,5 x 8,5 cm
Mother of pearl veneered wooden case, fire gilt brass frames, 11 glazed gouaches with views of Vienna and surrounding areas probably by Balthasar Wigand.
Top: „Tivoli“, „Wien und das Belvedere“, „Spinnerin am Kreuz“, „Weilburg bey Baden“, „Karlskirche“.
Base: „Lichtenstein“, „Wien von Prater“, „Wien von Dornbach“, „Wien von Döbling“, „Wien“, „Galitzinberg“.
Balthasar Wigand was a well known Viennese artist and his paintings were and are still sought. He was born in Vienna in 1770 and died 1846 in Felixdorf near Vienna. From 1787 to 1793 he studied at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts. 
Provenance: private collection Vienna.
Compare casket no. RCIN 3487 in The Royal Collection Trust (St. James’s Palace, London) and Bürgersinn und Aufbegehren. Biedermeier und Vormärz in Wien 1815-1848 (exhibition catalogue of the Wien Museum), Vienna 1987, p. 299, cat.no. 6/6/7.

SOLD: to the Hofmobiliendepot-Silberkammer Wien

Vienna mother of pearlVienna mother of pearl

MOTHER OF PEARL MODEL OF THE VIENNESE „ÄUSSERES BURGTOR“
Vienna, circa 1825
Length: 40,5 cm, height: 17 cm, depth: 19 cm
Mother of pearl veneered case, fire gilt metal mountings, water color on mother of pearl (removable view of the court stables, today Museumsquartier), in the upper part two openings for two small fire gilt fragrance bowls with subjacent oil lamps and one oil lamp on the backside of the model (gilt bronze) for the lighting of the painted view of the court stables.
The Vienna Burgtor was built by Peter Nobile (1774 Switzerland – 1854 Vienna) after plans by Luigi Cagnola (Italy 1762-1833) between 1821 and 1824.
The fine mother of pearl model probably came in imperial property during the reign of Emperor Franz I. (1804-1835) of Austria and was given then as a gift of Emperor Franz Joseph I. (1830-1916) to his doorkeeper Joseph Deimel (active circa 1884 to 1895) on the occasion of his retirement.
Exhibited in the Albertina, Vienna: "Die Gründung der Albertina. Zwischen Dürer und Napoleon", 14 March 2014 - 29 June 2014.
A comparable mother of pearl model of another Viennese building (of the “Tivoli”, a place of public entertainment) is in the Wien Museum (inv. no. 56.452), pictured in: 100 x Wien. Highlights aus dem Wien Museum Karlsplatz, catalogue of the Wien Museum, Wolfgang Kos (ed.), Vienna 2007, p. 138-139.

SOLD:

pair of silver candelabra, Vienna 1804pair of silver candelabra, Vienna 1804

PAIR OF SILVER CANDELABRA
Caspar Haas, Vienna 1804
Viennese mark of 1804, makers mark “CH”, silver, ca. 1.700 g, height: 43 cm, nozzles later in silver

Caspar Haas: born ca. 1764 , died 1840, master 1801
Literature: Neuwirth Waltraud: Wiener Silber. Namens- und Firmenpunzen 1781-1866, Vienna 2002, p. 252.

SOLD:

glass vase English glass vase

WINE COOLER
Baccarat, France, circa 1867/70
White alabaster glass, etched in pink, partly gilded, height: 25,2 cm, diameter on the top (without handles): 20,8 cm.
Literature: Jean-Louis Curtis: Baccarat, Thames and Hudson, 1992, p. 246.
Compare: Wine cooler in the Portland Museum of Art, Maine, USA.

SOLD:

pair of duelling pistols pair of percussion pistols

PAIR OF PERCUSSION PISTOL’S IN ORIGINAL CASE
Berlin, circa 1850
Signed: „I.A. HENCKEIS IN BERLIN”
Length of pistols: each 38 cm, 11 mm caliber, measure of the case 47 x 28 x 6 cm
Octagonal, eight-groove rifled Damascus steel barrels with tangs, nickel silver front sights and vertically adjustable rear sights. The barrel tops ornamentally inlaid in silver. Florally engraved, back-action percussion locks with single set triggers and closable cock buffer. Walnut stocks with chequered and carved butts. Florally engraved nickel silver furniture. In felt lined wood case with comprehensive accessories such as piston setter, bullet puller, powder flask etc.